Fresh Food First

NOTE: Contact your CF Center nutritionist first before creating your meal plan. These are simply my experiences.

Growing up, I struggled to gain weight while doing what my doctors advised: Eating foods with the highest calories and amounts of fat, protein, and sodium; however, I believe we must be careful consumers by including the freshest foods we can afford. 

Putting high-quality foods into our bodies gives us the most nutrition to work with. For the most part, we have choices in what we put in our bellies. When you go shopping, start in the produce aisle!


WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE VEGETABLES?
In high school I began craving vegetables after having grown up on primarily meat and potatoes. I listened to and obeyed my body’s demands.
Here are some vegetables you may consider including in your Meal Plan.
• Broccoli
• Asparagus
• Spinach (raw or cooked)
• Lettuce
• Cucumbers
• Zucchini (green squash)
• Celery
• Squash
• Eggplant
• Bell peppers


SAMPLE MEAL PLAN
Over the years I have come a long way, from eating a large percentage of processed fast foods to these highly nutritious whole foods:


BREAKFAST
  • Soup:
    • Water
    • Yams or sweet potatoes
    • Onions
    • Garlic
    • Carrot medallions
    • Your favorite herbs
    • Salt



LUNCH
  • Brown rice 
Lean meat of choice with:
  • Shredded kale
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Herbs to taste
  • Sea salt
  • Olive oil
Note: Quinoa is low carb and made me LOSE weight rapidly. Brown rice and whole wheat pastas are much better for weight gain. 


DINNER
Spelt or whole grain pasta (I highly recommend Vita Spelt Rotini) with:
  • Chopped broccoli
  • Tomatoes drizzled in lemon juice
  • Pine nuts
  • Toasted wheat germ sprinkled on top or almond flour (instead of Parmesan cheese)
  • Herbs
  • Celtic or Himalayan sea salt

No comments:

Post a Comment